Published: 2021-01-23 10:38:45 +0000
OK, the name is a travesty, but it means I can easily find the recipe again. There's no Lasagne pasta in there.
This is a variation of Mary Berry's Mexican Tortilla Bake recipe - essentially making it easier/lazier to make and boosting some ingredients to reduce the amount of meat you need to put in.
If you want to make the chilli from scratch rather than using stir-in sauce, you can follow my Spicy Chilli recipe.
For ease of serving, I only put 2 Tortilla layers in - if you want more you can just adjust the amount of mascarpone/cheese you put on each layer.
You can prepare this a few hours ahead of cooking it if you want, just make sure it's left covered and in a cool area.
Prep: 15 mins
Cooking: 35 mins
Total: 50 mins
- 250g ground beef mince
- 1 large onion
- 2 Red/yellow or green peppers
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 2 Jars Chilli stir in sauce
- 1 pack flour tortillas
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 250g grated cheddar
- Cooking oil
- Set the oven preheating to 180c
- Peel and slice the onion into small chunks
- De-Seed and slice the peppers
- Drain the kidney beans, and give them a rinse/wash to get rid of the canned taste
- Pour some cooking oil into a large frying pan, and set over a medium heat
- Put the beef mince into the pan and break it up, cook until it starts to brown
- Stir in the onion, pepper and kidney beans
- Cook for a few minutes until the onion starts to soften
- Stir in your chilli sauce and then leave to simmer
- While your chilli is simmering, lay a tortilla out on a plate
- Use a sharp knife to trim the edges so that it'll fit cleanly into your ovenproof dish - in effect, you're trying to make lasagne sheets
- Spoon some of your Chilli into the base of your casserole dish and spread it evenly across the dish
- Carefully lay some tortilla sheets across the top of the mix (as you would when making lasagne)
- Use a spoon to scoop up some mascarpone, and use another spoon to help push it out onto the Tortilla layer and spread it across
- Sprinkle about half of the grated cheddar over the marscapone
- Spoon the rest of the chilli on top of this layer and spread out evenly
- Lay some tortillas on top of that
- Spread the rest of the marscapone across the tortilla
- Sprinkle the rest of the grated cheese over the top
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, until golden and bubbling
- Serve immediately
Chilli, Mexican, Tortilla, Bake, Spicy,